Freestyle Ski Coach/Instructor
Mt Seymour is looking for an enthusiastic, friendly, and highly motivated certified Ski Freestyle Coach or instructor to join our team and share their passion for skiing with our guests.
Mt Seymour is located in North Vancouver, just 30 minutes from downtown Vancouver and is known as Vancouver's place to learn to ski and ride. Our Snow School provides a fun and inclusive atmosphere in which to work. Instructors are responsible for providing a great learning experience for our guests, a large proportion of whom are children.
We offer competitive wages, instructor incentives, and a range of industry perks and resort discounts. We are looking for a fully certified Ski Freestyle Coach or instructor or international equivalent to provide coaching to our Freestyle Lesson Programs. Including the Progression Team, Development Team, Park Rider Camp, Private Freestyle Lessons, and ongoing professional development training sessions for our instruction team based on the CSIA guidelines and the goals of our instructor group.
This is a seasonal full-time position (30-40 hours per week), 5 days a week (extra work during peak operating periods). Mt Seymour pays instructors for their full shifts, setting a new standard in the industry. Whether you're teaching, assisting, or on standby, your dedication is always recognized and rewarded. Be part of a snow school that values you.
Advertised as a full-time role, consideration would also be given to a part-time position, if the applicant can meet the primary duties of the role.
Our season is generally from December to mid-April, with orientation training in late November.
Title: Freestyle Ski Coach/Instructor
Department: Snow School
Reports To: Snow School Assistant Manager / Manager
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Freestyle Ski Coach/Instructor is responsible for providing coaching to our Freestyle Lesson Programs. Including the Progression Team, Park Rider Camp, Private Freestyle Lessons, and ongoing professional development training sessions for our instruction team based on the CSIA guidelines and the goals of our instructor group.
Reporting to the Snow School Management Team, we seek a CSIA Freestyle L1, Canadian Coaching Fundamentals Coach, or national/international equivalent.
Instructors are expected to always behave in a professional manner as they are dressed in uniform and are role models for all guests and staff. Instructors are expected to be available to work weekends and holidays, these being our busiest periods.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Commitment to the Snow School Mission Statement & Core Values "Safety, Fun, and Learning".
- Provide coaching to our Freestyle Programs and Private Freestyle lessons.
- Provide ongoing training/professional development sessions for our instructor team to help them improve their skills and attain new certifications.
- Teach skiing lessons according to the current CSIA standards.
- Responsible for the safety of each guest in the instructor's care (Duty of Care).
- Assist with organizing and administering lessons and supervising other instruction staff as necessary.
- Be knowledgeable of and teach the variety of lessons that Mt Seymour offers.
- Providing support and leadership to visiting groups and schools in outdoor programs.
- Completion of documentation for ski and snowboard lessons (class cards & reports).
- Be knowledgeable of and teach the Alpine Responsibility Code.
- Record all class and student information accurately on Snow School class cards.
- To be knowledgeable of current equipment, technique, and teaching methodology.
- Motivate & encourage instructors and provide feedback to them.
- Work with the Snow School Supervisors and Managers to improve the quality of lessons delivered by our staff.
- Be in constant communication with Supervisors, Snow School Manager, and Assistants.
- Other related duties as required (related to other departments and aid time).
Job Requirements & Qualifications:
- Prior experience working as a Freestyle Ski Coach is considered an asset.
- Possess a minimum of CSIA Freestyle L1.
- Canadian Coaching Fundamentals Coach or national/international equivalent.
- Have the appropriate level of physical fitness to take on all assignments and possess a high level of skiing abilities.
- Extensive previous teaching experience.
- Excellent communication and guest service skills.
- Professional and well organized.
- Strong team player.
Mt Seymour is proud to be a Snow School industry leader by paying all instructors for the duration of their shifts, regardless of whether they teach a lesson, are performing other duties, or are on standby. This is an hourly role. Overtime will be required during busy periods.
Hourly wage - dependent on qualifications and experience. Starting from:
$24.00 per hour
- Other certifications (on a case-by-case basis).
- Private request lessons paid at $30 per hour.
- Full-Time Employee Bonus Scheme paid out twice seasonally depending on attendance and performance.
- Complimentary season pass and shuttle bus pass provided
If teaching for Mt Seymour sounds like a good fit for you, please send your resume, covering letter, and a copy of your certifications to firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the online application form HERE.