Snowboard Instructor | Level 4
Mt Seymour is looking for enthusiastic, friendly, and highly motivated instructors to join our team and share their passion for skiing with our guests.
Mt Seymour is located in North Vancouver, just 30 minutes from downtown Vancouver and is known as Vancouver's place to learn to ski and ride. Our Snow School provides a fun and inclusive atmosphere in which to work. Instructors are responsible for providing a great learning experience to our guests, a large proportion of whom are children.
We offer competitive wages and instructor incentives, as well as a range of industry perks and resort discounts. We also provide regular instructor training sessions to help develop our team.
These are seasonal full-time positions (30-40 hours per week), and 4-6 days a week (extra work during peak operating periods). Mt Seymour pays instructors for their full shifts, setting a new standard in the industry. No matter if you're teaching, assisting, or on standby, your dedication is always recognized and rewarded. Be part of a snow school that values you.
Our season typically runs from December to Mid-April, with orientation training in late November.
Title: Level 4 Snowboard Instructor
Department: Snow School
Reports To: Snow School Assistant Manager / Manager
Summary of Responsibilities:
You will be employed to teach guests to snowboard according to the standards of the Canadian Association of Snowboard Instructors (CASI) in a safe and fun environment. In addition, provide ongoing training for our staff to help them attain new certifications and also improve their teaching and riding skills. Instructors are expected to always behave in a professional manner as they are dressed in uniform and are role models for all guests and staff. Instructors are expected to be available to work weekends and holidays, these being our busiest periods.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Commitment to the Snow School Mission Statement and Core Values "Safety, Fun, and Learning".
- Provide ongoing training for our instructor team to help them improve their skills and attain new certifications.
- Teach snowboarding lessons according to the current CASI standards.
- Responsible for the safety of each guest in the instructor's care (Duty of Care).
- Assist with organizing and administering lessons and supervising other instruction staff as necessary.
- Be knowledgeable of and teach the variety of lessons that Mt Seymour offers.
- Providing support and leadership to visiting groups and schools in outdoor programs.
- Completion of documentation for ski and snowboard lessons (class cards & reports).
- Be knowledgeable of and teach the Alpine Responsibility Code.
- Record all class and student information accurately on Snow School class cards.
- To be knowledgeable of current equipment, technique, and teaching methodology.
- Motivate & encourage instructors and provide feedback.
- Work with the Snow School Supervisors and Managers to improve the quality of lessons delivered by our staff.
- Be in constant communication with Supervisors, Snow School Manager, and Assistant.
- Other related duties as required (as related to other departments and aid time).
Job Requirements & Qualifications:
- CASI Level 4 or equivalent certification.
- Extensive previous teaching experience.
- Previous Training Experience working with staff within a Snow School an asset.
- Excellent communication and guest service skills.
- Professional and well-organized.
- Strong team player.
- We have some limited opportunities to offer assistance with VISAs for highly skilled and experienced candidates.
Salary & Benefits:
Mt Seymour is proud to be a Snow School industry leader by paying all instructors for the duration of their shifts, regardless of whether they teach a lesson, are performing other duties, or are on standby. This is an hourly role. Overtime will be required during busy periods.
Hourly wage - dependent on qualifications and experience. Starting from:
Level 4 - $31.50
- Other certifications (on a case-by-case basis).
- Private request lessons paid at a premium.
- Full-Time Employee Bonus Scheme paid out twice seasonally depending on attendance and performance.
- Complimentary season pass and shuttle bus pass provided.
If teaching for Mt Seymour sounds like a good fit for you, please send your resume, covering letter, and a copy of your certifications to firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the online application form HERE.